If you’re anything like me when you’re on the market for a new book, you’re probably wondering to yourself as you adjust your lovelyladylumps and scratch your head in confusion, “How can I tell it’s chick lit?”
There’s nothing more depressing than taking the time to read a few chapters of a new book, only to find that it’s flat, boring, and incredibly sad. Where’s chick lit when you need it?
You can use the following three tips as a surefire test to guarantee you’re reading chick lit every time. No more boring, true-life World War I memoirs for me, thank you very much…
- It’s all about the fashion. While not every chick lit book will focus on frivolous fashion, most chick lit novels across the board will make a few glittering references to style and designer labels just for the fun of it. If the title of the book has a designer’s name in it (think The Devil Wears Prada), all the better.
- The heroine is sarcastic. The best chick lit books are written in a fearlessly funny voice with a self-deprecating, witty leading lady. If the main character is depressing, sad, or weak, then you’re probably not reading chick lit. Chick lit books create a heroine that makes you want to root for her in every predicament she gets herself into, while she keeps you laughing along the way.
- It’s rife with pop culture references. Any well-written chick lit book will take a moment or two or three to poke fun at society in general. If the book you’re reading doesn’t describe an orange spray tan as a Snooki-ish glow, then you may not be reading chick lit.
If you want to take advantage of my e-book giveaway for 5 Stages of Grief, please leave a comment with your name and email address to enter to win!! I will announce the winner on May 23, so stay tuned…
Chick Lit Blog Hop Rules
- Each of the 34 participating authors has written a special Chick Lit-centric piece and these posts will go live on Monday, May 14th. At each blog hop stop, you will have the opportunity to enter to win a FREE Chick Lit e-book from that particular blog’s owner/author. All you have to do is leave a comment on the blog post, including your name and e-mail address, and you’re automatically entered to win. If you visit each blog hop stop, that means you have the chance to win 34 different e-books!
- The blog hop will start at Natalie Aaron & Marla Schwartz and end at Jen Tucker. You will find a list of all the stops on the blog hop at each auther’s blog. Authors’ blogs will be listed in alphabetical order according to last name.
- In each of the author’s blog posts, there will be a “secret word.” This word will be italicized, so it will be easy to find. All you have to do is make note of this secret word at each blog hop stop. Collect all 34 secret words and submit your list to CLABlogHop@aol.com before midnight on Sunday, May 20th and you will be entered into the Grand Prize Drawing! The winner of this drawing will receive a $150 Sephora gift card! $150 to spend on make-up, fragrance, bath and body goodies, skin care, and hair products! How fun is that? This gift card can be redeemed online, or at any Sephora store in the US.
- Winners of each of the participating author’s e-books, as well as the Grand Prize winner of the $150 Sephora gift card will be announced on Monday, May 21st.
- Contests are open to citizens of the United States only.
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…